Everyday Examples in Engineering
This section contains lesson plans and solutions, most of which have been prepared using the principle of the 5Es: Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate and Evaluate (1).
Ideas for Lesson Plans
This section lists ideas that could be used to illustrate engineering concepts. Consider these ideas as you create your own lesson plans.
- Design a Beam to Support A Traffic Light*
- Find Components Under Torsion Loads*
- Finding Components Under Combined Loading*
- Applied Bending Analysis*
*Source: Ilene Busch-Vishniac, Tom Kibler, Patricia B. Campbell, Eann Patterson, Darrell Guillaume, Jeffrey Jarosz, Constantine Chassapis, Ashley Emery, Glenn Ellis. Horace Whitworth, Susan Metz, Suzanne Brainard & Pradosh Ray
(1) Atkin, J.M. and Karplus, R. (1962). Discovery or Invention? Science Teacher, 29(5):45.