Put cookies to work in your classes!
Students can feel intimidated and hesitate to ask questions or seek help. They need to be convinced that you are approachable. With the right conversation from you it can happen in 20 minutes.
Cookies and conversation in the classroom? Really!
Here’s what you do:
- Pick a date in your classes (large or small) early in the term
- Set aside 20 minutes at the end of class
- Bring 2 cookies per student (get good ones)
- Talk to students about your research interests, why you wanted to be professor, your work experiences, hobbies…pick what's comfortable.
The payoff is big... even for just 20 minutes.
Research shows that very casual, brief conversations with faculty can:
- Improve faculty evaluations
- Improve student performance
- Increase student retention and commitment to STEM study and careers